“If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, … “
HE PROMISES HIS BLESSINGS !
This chapter contains a general application of all the laws given by Moses, with promises of reward for obedience on one hand, and threats of punishment for disobedience on the other. As long as Israel retained regard for the worship, Sabbaths and sanctuary of God, and did not turn from idolatry, God undertook to preserve for them temporal mercies and religious advantages.
Today the Good News is, these great and precious promises, though they relate chiefly to the present life, are typical of the spiritual blessings which the covenant of grace secures through Christ to all believers, including you:
- The abundance of the fruits of the earth. Every good and perfect gift is to be expected from above, from the Father of lights.
- Peace under divine protection. Those who dwell in security, those who dwell in God.
- Victory and success in wars. The Lord is one with the great or the few who save.
- The increase of His people. He will be fruitful.
- The favor of God, who is the source of all good.
- The signs of his presence in and through his ordinances. The way to have the ordinances of God fixed among us is to hold fast to them.
- The grace of the covenant.
All the blessings of the covenant are summed up in the covenant relationship: I will be your God, and you shall be my people; and they are all based on your redemption through Jesus-Christ. Having bought you, God will possess youto bless you abundantly and never reject you unless you reject Him.
Prayer: God, thanks for the precious redemption I can have through Christ Jesus. He has paid everything to accomplish the law in order to enable me to benefit freely from all God’s promises for those who obey Him. Thanks for the Grace of your covenant that releases all these blessings to my life and family.
Quote: Having bought you through the sacrifice of Jesus-Christ, God will possess you to bless you abundantly and never reject you unless you reject Him.