“And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.”
We have seasons in our lives and sometimes we can be very discouraged. If you think you’re having a hard time right now, David would be the one to understand you. He and his men were away in battle when they came home to Ziklag, only to see that their enemies, the Amalekites had taken everything, their wives, their children, and everyone in their camp had been taken captive. And to top it all off – the Amalekites had burned the whole place to the ground.
David and his men “cried until they had no more strength to cry. Then the situation got even worse. David’s men were so bitter about what had happened that they began to talk about stoning him to death! This is when David became even more deeply distressed. And David was greatly distressed… but David encouraged himself in the Lord, his God. This is very important because right after this, his situation changed completely.
It’s not always the first thing that comes to mind, but it’s a very important key to breaking through by taking time in God’s presence to praise and worship Him. Reach out to spirit-filled friends who can speak life and truth to you. Listen to messages of encouragement from faith-filled people. But most of all, your words direct your thoughts, and nothing is more powerful than listening to the truth of God’s word coming from your own mouth. Whenever you feel tired, lonely or on the floor, take this list and say these 30 things to say when you need encouragement – and be encouraged!
- I am a new creature, created in Christ Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- I am healed by the stripes of Jesus (1 Peter 2:24)
- I am more than conquered by him who loves me (Romans 8:37)
- I am strong in the Lord and in his mighty power (Ephesians 6:10)
- I am like a tree planted by a stream of water. I bear fruit in my season. My leaf does not wither, and all that I do succeeds me. (Psalm 1:3)
- I am bold as a lion. (Proverbs 28:1)
- I overcome the world (1 John 5:4-5)
- I am anointed for Christ is in me (Isaiah 61:1)
- I am not afraid, for God is with me (Isaiah 41:10)
- I am blessed by the Lord God Almighty for I obey him (Deuteronomy 11:27)
- I have a future of hope because God has plans for me of peace and not of evil (Jeremiah 29:11)
- I have faith in God who dwells in me (Mark 11:22)
- I have the peace of God which surpasses all understanding. (Philippians 4:7)
- I have an exceeding joy that is glorious (1 Peter 1:8)
- I have the victory that overcomes the world (1. John 5:4)
- I have the mind of Christ (1. Corinthians 2:16)
- God provides for all my needs according to his riches and glory in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19)
- I have received a spirit of strength, love and wisdom – not a spirit of timidity. (2 Timothy 1:7)
- I have the joy of the Lord which is my strength (Nehemiah 8:10)
- I have Christ in me, the hope of glory. (Colossians 1:27)
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13)
- I can always triumph in Christ (2 Corinthians 2:14)
- I can call the things that are not as though they were. (Romans 4:17)
- I can lay my hands on the sick and see them healed (Mark 16:18)
- I can grasp the authority of Jesus to overcome sin, sickness, demons, fear, want and death (Philippians 2:9-11).
- I can go up as with eagle’s wings for my strength will be renewed. (Isaiah 40:31)
- I can run and not grow weary (Isaiah 40:31).
- I can walk and not grow weary (Isaiah 40:31).
- I can fight the good fight of faith. (2 Timothy 4:7)
- I can trust him and rest in him, for he is my good shepherd. (Psalm 23)
I am sure that before you finish declaring these 30 things, you will be excited in your spirit and the strength and courage of God will be in you.
Declare these things daily or regularly on your life when you are discouraged or not. It will remind you of who you are in Christ, what you have received through Him, and all the infinite abilities you have with God on your side. Do not be dismayed or discouraged, but be strong in the Lord your God.
Prayer: Thank you God for your perspective and your promises. I declare on my life these 30 great things that you have said about me. I believe all these things because they come from your word. I submit to you and your promises. I resist the devil who must flee. He is the liar and the one who wants to discourage me, but God is my strength where I find courage.
Quote: Our words direct our thoughts, and nothing is more powerful than listening to the truth of God’s word, which comes from our own mouth.